SOCIAL IMPACT AND UNAI MEMBERSHIP
IDA-Education is a proud member of the United Nations Academic Impact.
Academic Impact is a global initiative that aligns institutions of higher education with the United Nations in actively supporting ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, literacy, sustainability and conflict’s resolution. The Academic Impact also asks each participating higher education institution to actively demonstrate support of at least one of those principles each year.
The critical role of higher education in economic and social development as well as foundation for world peace is widely acknowledged. Only lacking is the resolve and action of academic leaders around the world. By formally endorsing the ten principles in the Academic Impact, institutions make a commitment to use education as an engine for addressing global problems.
Academic Impact is informed by a commitment to support and advance ten basic principles:
1) A commitment to the principles inherent in the United Nations Charter as values that education seeks to promote and help fulfil;
2) A commitment to human rights, among them freedom of inquiry, opinion, and speech;
3) A commitment to educational opportunity for all people regardless of gender, race, religion or ethnicity;
4) A commitment to the opportunity for every interested individual to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for the pursuit of higher education;
5) A commitment to building capacity in higher education systems across the world;
6) A commitment to encouraging global citizenship through education;
7) A commitment to advancing peace and conflict’s resolution through
8) A commitment to addressing issues of poverty through education;
9) A commitment to promoting sustainability through education;
10) A commitment to promoting inter-cultural dialogue and understanding, and the “unlearning” of intolerance, through education.